Skip to main content

What Parenting Methods Really Work?


As a parent it seems like there are more than a million differing forms of advice from people, books, and internet sources ready to dish out advice on what the best strategies are for parenting and they all include the handy phrases like “if you want your kid to be successful or happy follow these exact steps”.
So my question is how do you sift through all the different views out there? How do you know you’re doing things right? Trial and error seam too risky when dealing with another person’s success and overall growth in life, right?

When we had our first baby girl she was perfect in every way. Her brown hair and big brown eyes brightened every day and she was so easy, a great sleeper, she was always sensitive and observant and did everything we asked her to do for the most part parenting was a breeze. I thought we must be doing everything right and then number two came. Our bouncy active beautiful blond haired and sky blue eyed girl flipped our whole world! She too was perfect but deffinatly knew how to give us a run for our money.  Right from the beginning she was always on the go and very physically driven and now that our attention was divided our first had more reason to act out too. With each new day the rise of chaos seemed to follow as well. I felt so overwhelmed with just surviving that I lost focus on just loving my kids and enjoying these young years. 

I determined that something must be done, I could no longer just “wing it” anymore I needed some kind of frame work or game plan so I started reading anything I could get my hands on about parenting and how to understand and connect with different personalities. This left me feeling so overwhelmed all over again because of all the contradictive and overabundance of parenting methods I found. In one book I read about discipline strategies it said “If your child is acting out or throwing a fit simply hold them down in a firm way (but make sure you’re not hurting them) and wait for them to stop, then proceed to describe what they did was wrong, and then they will turn and say thanks for loving me and treating me like an adult, I understand now I promise to not do that anymore.” I was sure that whoever wrote that book had never actually had kids because that was differently not how my kids responded. I felt like giving up and that’s when I remembered the John Gottman institute online, I had read their relationship books and loved them and I remembered they had help for parenting too.

I got their book on Emotion Coaching. I can’t even begin to describe how relieved I felt when reading it! It turns the table from focusing on what is the perfect way to make my kid turn out and behave properly to remembering that your kids are valuable people with valuable insight. Their feelings and points of views should be validated and it provides research and statistics backing up that the kids that are taught to trust their own emotions and not be ashamed of them will have a great advantage in life. If emotional understanding is in place 
then it could lay the groundwork for connections within families. This then provides an environment where success is no longer contingent upon the perfect parenting strategy. It may take time and practice but through connecting with our children on their emotional level we can be confident in applying our own unique parenting ideas, because we will be fully aware of the needs of our children in our own lifestyle. 
It also points out over and over again that it is okay to mess up, we’re people and kids actually learn to not be so hard on themselves if they see their parents mess up and then apologize for it. We may often feel like we have to be this immovable wall and demand a strict rule of conduct or that it’s our job to create the perfect child because others will think we are a horrible parent if we don’t. But anyone that has had children can attest to the fact that they come pre-built with their own personalities and outlook, this book really focuses on just connecting with your child and as you do that you will know better what the individual will need as far as discipline or help in their life.

I could always tell my daughters were different, that was obvious at a glance, but it wasn’t until after applying what I learned in this book that I was able to better understand how to connect with them and not feel like there was this perfect child mold I had to squeeze them into. When I have time with just Emery how we connect is finding a quiet spot and just talk and talk and talk, and if I do need to discipline her giving her time out or talking about the problem usually is all she needs. Then with Ebony If I want to connect with her we build towers to wreck, or hills to run on, or just tackle and tickle until we’re blue in the face, and when it comes to disciplining she becomes so easily overwhelmed that it doesn’t work to just put her in timeout, believe it or not I have to give her a hug first for her to hear anything I say and then we may do a small time out or using as few words as posable to keep her attention and tell her what we can do. These are just a few things that I was able to figure out and learned how to tell if my children were progressing or degressing and if our parenting motheds were helping or hurting their overall success.


This is the link to their Emotion Coaching packet they also have a news letter for help if you subscribe to their free emails

https://www.gottman.com/product/emotion-coaching-the-heart-of-parenting-video-program/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Greetings From Utah

I was born in Nevada USA and moved all over the western states. By the time I was 15 years old I had moved 20 times and although moving that much was so hard it also provided me with first hand experience of vast opinions and beliefs and taught me valuable lessons that I have been using throughout my life. I met my husband in Hurricane UT, he was the best thing that ever happened to me I truly found my best friend and eternal companion. I can't imagine life without him. We have been married now for almost 6 years and have our three amazing kids! Which brings me to this point and why I started this blog. When we were first married being a wife and becoming a mom seamed pretty natural and self explanatory but as time passed and when our first child came I started feeling so inadequate on how to be a wife and a mom! I had so many good intentions and big dreams for our family and combined with all the pressures that tell you every particular in every part of life that you should

Electronics

W e have been able to incorporate many valuable tips as we have researched parenting strategies, but the one category that still evaded any real kind of solution was 'electronics' I struggled to find a system or way that was convenient, accessible, detailed, and functional for small children to not only help monitor time spent on electronics but also how to help my kids be more engaged in life off the screen. I was just waiting for someone to come up with the perfect idea to do all the things I was envisioning. And than I attended The online 'I am Mom Summit' and listened to Katie Richardson's (creator and founder of Puj baby products) video And it sparked a fire inside me! It made me think, why was I waiting around for someone to make what I was looking for? Why don't I make it!!! Immediately I started designing my idea but I still lacked the gumption or know how to do anything more than that.  A few months later my sister introduced me to 'Miracle

Keeping Romance Alive

When I was first married, my husband and I were both very against reading self-help books but especially those geared around marriage advice. Our perception of self-help books was they were just a whole bunch of frilly words meshed together and slammed in a book. That anyone with common sense would be able to navigate through any emotional or relationship struggle just fine on their own and if we ever did submit ourselves to the advice of a book that it was a sign of failure and defeat.   So between not wanting to be a failure or seam dumb or weak we never sought out help from books or any other earthly source when struggles arrived. Now looking back I laugh at my relentless stubborn mentality! How could struggling on your own ever be better than simply opening a book and reading! Now I have found so many hidden treasures inside self-help books. I am a huge advocate for seeking out help and advice while things are good so that you can keep them good! We put so much time energy and e