Skip to main content

Working Through Hard Times


Forgiveness is not often the first thing that pops into our mind when a heated argument begins, or a miss communication spirals out of control. Even if it is, it seems imposable to forgive right in the heat of the moment. But why?
I understand the mental and emotional rollercoaster and turmoil that presents itself when going through any kind of conflict. We hurt, feel misused, treated unfairly and are brought low! We want the other person to not get off scotch free and to realize the depth of the pain they caused us. They need to make some kind of restitution in order to make up for everything. All of these feeling are normal and needed even… but so are some other important considerations when dealing with pain.
 #1 what you feel towards others is a reflection of what you think about yourself.
Imagine for a moment that someone you love, admire or deal with in your life makes a mistake, hurts your feelings or just doesn’t give the support in the way you need.
How do you view them? (Inconsiderate, rude, unobservant)
What do you feel the core problem is with the person? (Lazy, selfish, just not good enough)
What do you think they should do to apologize? (Say sorry, grand gesture, prove they have changed)
Do they deserve forgiveness? (Yes if they make up for it, not right now, no)
Now imagine it was you that made the same mistake.   
How do you view yourself? (Inconsiderate, rude, unobservant)
What do you feel the core problem is with you? (lazy, selfish, just not good enough)
What do you think you should do to apologize? (Say sorry, grand gesture, prove you have changed)
Do you deserve forgiveness? (Yes if I make up for it, not right now, no)
You may notice that your answers to these questions are virtually the same.
Holding a grudge towards someone may feel like you are punishing them, but what this is really doing is solidifying the idea in your own mind that when someone messes up that they deserve punishment and feeling worthless. In other words you are pre-programing your own mind on how you will think about and treat yourself if you mess up.

#2 you have the power to be free.
When you are hurting it is normal and natural to want to lash out and defend yourself, this does not make you a mean person! Instead of actually lashing out at your attacker, take these feelings as a signal that your internal self is trying to make sure that you know, you have value, you are important, and you deserve to be treated better!
If we are able to recognize value within ourselves and that we do deserve to be treated better, then we often jump to the conclusion that validation for those feeling comes from an outside source. We feel that others need to approve of us or show public notification of our value before we allow ourselves to feel good about ourselves.
If we could recognize that when we get hurt, all we want is to feel good again! This cannot be accomplished by others. This can only be achieved if we allow ourselves to value our own worth above the opinion of others. Holding a grudge keeps the pain and injustice done to us at the forefront of our mind and solidifies the idea that mistakes deserve punishment. 
In contrast forgiveness allows the hurt to fade from our mind and frees up space to believe in our potential rather than feeling defined by our shortcomings.
Forgiveness of others, provides means to forgive oneself. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Greetings From Utah

I was born in Nevada USA and moved all over the western states. By the time I was 15 years old I had moved 20 times and although moving that much was so hard it also provided me with first hand experience of vast opinions and beliefs and taught me valuable lessons that I have been using throughout my life. I met my husband in Hurricane UT, he was the best thing that ever happened to me I truly found my best friend and eternal companion. I can't imagine life without him. We have been married now for almost 6 years and have our three amazing kids! Which brings me to this point and why I started this blog. When we were first married being a wife and becoming a mom seamed pretty natural and self explanatory but as time passed and when our first child came I started feeling so inadequate on how to be a wife and a mom! I had so many good intentions and big dreams for our family and combined with all the pressures that tell you every particular in every part of life that you should

Electronics

W e have been able to incorporate many valuable tips as we have researched parenting strategies, but the one category that still evaded any real kind of solution was 'electronics' I struggled to find a system or way that was convenient, accessible, detailed, and functional for small children to not only help monitor time spent on electronics but also how to help my kids be more engaged in life off the screen. I was just waiting for someone to come up with the perfect idea to do all the things I was envisioning. And than I attended The online 'I am Mom Summit' and listened to Katie Richardson's (creator and founder of Puj baby products) video And it sparked a fire inside me! It made me think, why was I waiting around for someone to make what I was looking for? Why don't I make it!!! Immediately I started designing my idea but I still lacked the gumption or know how to do anything more than that.  A few months later my sister introduced me to 'Miracle

Keeping Romance Alive

When I was first married, my husband and I were both very against reading self-help books but especially those geared around marriage advice. Our perception of self-help books was they were just a whole bunch of frilly words meshed together and slammed in a book. That anyone with common sense would be able to navigate through any emotional or relationship struggle just fine on their own and if we ever did submit ourselves to the advice of a book that it was a sign of failure and defeat.   So between not wanting to be a failure or seam dumb or weak we never sought out help from books or any other earthly source when struggles arrived. Now looking back I laugh at my relentless stubborn mentality! How could struggling on your own ever be better than simply opening a book and reading! Now I have found so many hidden treasures inside self-help books. I am a huge advocate for seeking out help and advice while things are good so that you can keep them good! We put so much time energy and e